San Francisco (CNN) It’s so hot in the West that the scorching heat is breaking records, causing massive power outages and prompting flight cancellations.
1. Some planes can’t fly
2. Heat records are being shattered
3. Wildfires are burning
4. Power is being knocked out
5. Roads buckle under the heat
How to beat the heat
What NOT to do in a heat wave 01:12
- Never leave your car locked or unattended without checking for pets and children inside.
- Hydrate with water, avoiding sugary drinks and alcohol.
- Wear light-colored clothing, which can hold down your body temperature several degrees.
- Wear sunscreen SPF 15 or higher to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Don’t forget to check on neighbors, friends and family, especially the young and the elderly, who are at more risk of heath damage from excessive heat.